Worksite Clinics provided by Workwell »

FAQ for Individuals

Click a question below to see the answer:

Workers’ Comp FAQs:

I have been hurt on the job. What do I do?
If you experience a life or limb-threatening injury on the job, seek immediate medical attention at the nearest emergency room and then notify your supervisor in writing. A life or limb-threatening injury means an injury that you believe threatens a portion of your body or your life in such a way that immediate medical care is needed to prevent your death or serious damage. In all other instances, notify your employer or supervisor that you have been injured before obtaining any medical care. All injuries, no matter how small, should be reported to your employer.

If your employer has designated a medical provider before or at the time of the injury, you will be required to see that provider for medical care. If you choose to seek your own medical care, it may result in nonpayment of medical benefits and you may be liable for your medical costs. If your employer does not direct you to a medical provider, you may seek treatment from the provider of your choice.

By law, you must notify your employer in writing within four working days of an injury, even if you have advised them verbally. If you do not report your injury to your employer in writing within four working days, you may be penalized and lose up to one day’s compensation for each day’s delay, provided that your employer has posted a sign requiring four days’ written notice. You may still file a claim for benefits even if you are late reporting the injury to your employer.

What is worker’s compensation?
Workers’ compensation is a wage replacement and medical care program for a worker whose injury or illness is work related.

The insurance company has not responded or has denied my claim. What are my options?
The insurance company may deny your claim for a variety of reasons. If this happens, you should contact the insurance company adjuster to discuss this decision. Sometimes a claim is denied because the insurance adjuster does not have complete and accurate information. You may be able to supply important information to assist the process. An insurance company may also deny a claim if the adjuster has reason to believe that the injury is not work related or if it is believed that further investigation is necessary.

If the workers’ compensation insurance company denies your claim, you may be responsible for all medical bills associated with the illness or injury. You may then be eligible for coverage through your private health care insurance policy. If you feel your claim has been incorrectly denied, there are several options available to you. For more information on these options and the time limits that must be followed, contact the Division of Workers’ Compensation.

Can I choose my own doctor for an on-the-job injury?
Your employer has the right in the first instance to designate the medical provider that injured employees must use. If your employer does not do so at the time of the injury, you may choose your own medical provider.

After the claim is filed, the insurance company may request that you be examined by another doctor of its choice, at its expense. If you do not go to this examination, the insurance company may ask the Division of Workers’ Compensation for permission to stop your benefits.

Learn more from the Colorado Department of Labor & Employment’s Division of Workers’ Compensation Employee’s Guide.


Drug Screening FAQs

Can clinic personnel provide a copy of the results?
We do not receive the results, as we are only a collection facility. The results are sent to your employer and you can obtain a copy there.
Do I need an appointment for a drug screen?
No, you can walk in anytime between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm. Make sure to bring any paperwork your employer gave you and a valid government-issued photo ID.
Which drugs does the screening test for?
There are several different types of tests. They are ordered in panels (number of drugs) ranging from 5-panel to a 10-panel, and your employer decides which panel is required. The most common is a 5-panel that tests for THC, amphetamines, PCP, cocaine, and high dose opiates.
Do I need to give you a list of my medications?
No. If, for some reason, a medication you are taking affects your results, a physician from the drug screening company will call you to verify your prescription.

If I cannot provide a large enough sample to do the test, can I leave and come back?
Once you check in, you must stay at Workwell until you can provide a large enough sample or until three hours has passed.


DOT Physical FAQs

Does Workwell send a copy of my medical card to the DMV?
No, it is your responsibility to make sure the DMV has a copy of your medical card. We will make sure your employer has a copy.
Do Workwell’s physicians follow FMCSA guidelines?
Yes, which means our physicians may need additional documentation from your primary physician if you have certain chronic illnesses. Please call ahead if you think you may need additional documentation and we will let you know if you do.
Do I need an appointment for a DOT physical exam?
Yes. This limits your wait time and makes sure the physician has time to answer all your questions.

Need help finding something? Have questions? Call at 303.827.3158 or contact us:

Stay Informed

Newsletter Sign-up

Industry » Safety » Tips

Workwell Occupational Medicine will keep your information private and will not share it with anyone.